Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Mini Review Monday-- The Sequel

It's a mini review... by me!  Also, the move is definitely on, so my internet access will probably be spotty for a week or more.  You can try emailing me with your mini reviews, but it might be a better bet just to add them to the comments.

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

This book had a problem that seems to be common in long running series.  Stuff happens, but stuff is not the same as a plot.  There was a small story arc that started about half way through the book, so it wasn't totally plotless.  There was also a long and rather pointless info dumpy conversation between Eric and Sookie, with no pay off in this book.  It might mean something later, but in that case I'd rather have read about it in that later book.  By the time the next book rolls around I will have forgotten the details.  (I have a mind like a steel sieve, I swear.)  There were some things I liked about the book, however.  Sookie seems to be reconnecting with her roots.  She spent a lot more time with Sam in this one than she has lately, and her relationship with her brother seems to be getting back on track.  I also like how Harris uses real people as vampire characters.  She introduced a new one in this book, but I won't ruin the surprise.  The fairy problems seem to be pretty well resolved, and I'm hoping that means we'll be getting back to more vampire action soon.

In other Charlaine Harris news, I heard a rumor the other day that her Harper Connelly series, about a woman who was struck by lightning as a teen and can now sense the dead, has been optioned by CBS.  I don't see anything about it on Harris's website, so it may just be a rumor.  I'll be watching this one closely, because I really like this series, and it will be interesting to see how it makes the transition to TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment