Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Inaugural Mini Review Monday!

It's our first ever Mini Review Monday!  Many thanks to our very first test subjects volunteers.  If you have a mini review you'd like to share with the class, please email it to us or feel free to post it in the comments.  Can't wait to see what you're reading!


And now, London Mabel!
Juliet by Anne Fortier. 
Though I wasn't a big fan of the writing, this was a nice little page turner. A romantic Da Vinci Code, via Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Likable characters, good twists, satisfying ending. Favourite part: I liked Juliet's meddling hotel concierge.

Room by Emma Donoghue
I read this almost in one sitting. A touching story about a kidnapped woman and her son--told from the latter's point of view, who has never seen the world outside the one room he was born in. An elegantly simple and creative treatment of a horrifying subject. Favourite part: Jack's step-grandfather.
London Mabel also wanted me to mention that she got Room as an advance reading copy through her job.  (Where do you work, Mabel, that you get ARCs?  And, more importantly, are they hiring?)

Next, one from one from Atomic Betty!


Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich
This is one of the Between the Numbers series, a slightly paranormal set of books featuring Stephanie Plum running around with Diesel, a guy who randomly appears in her kitchen from time to time, without needing to use the door (one of several unusual skills Diesel has).  I like this series within the series because the slight elements of paranormal, seen through Stephanie's eyes, and the interaction between Stephanie and Diesel make a good fun read.
This mini review comes from DivaBetty.  And keep an eye out tomorrow for another review from Her Divaness!


Hmm mini monday sounds like a yummy candy bar, possibly with nougat...


Anyway, I'm happily reading Lord of the Far Island by Victoria Holt. I read it in high school and remember liking it but that's been a while. I'm really enjoying it because Ellen's voice is witty and confident and it's set in nineteenth century London among the gentry. I'm not loving the names like Esmerelda, Rollo and Jago personally but I'm superpicky about names in books (don't get me started on Katniss from Hunger Games). So far my favorite part has been Ellen's smug and vindictive enjoyment from inviting her overbearing hateful aunt to visit her wealthy future in-laws the Carringtons.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about Juliet. I thought it sounded good but I watched the atrociously cheesy "Letters to Juliet" this summer and wasn't sure I could stomach another hackneyed tie-in of R&J. I like the sound of this one, though. Thanks for the review, London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, it's been a busy week, I'm out of the loop! I work at a large format book store in Canada. It's a bad place to work if you're a bookaholic.

    ReplyDelete