Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A WTF? Special

In the shadowy corner of every reader's history is the hall of shame, the books we finished and wish we hadn't or the one's we cast aside in disgust.

Here are a few to consider giving as gifts to people you hate, in the spirit of the holiday season.

Books I Wish I'd Never Seen.

1.  Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani
I adore Trigiani. Her Lucia, Lucia is one of my favorites and my grandma's as well. Her real-woman voice is formidably true and wry. I await the third volume of her Valentine trilogy. However, I have a copy of Big Stone Gap in a box in my garage. I can't keep it in the house because I'll try to reread it and my Normally Patient Husband said if I attempted it he'd set it on fire.
It's beautifully written and the narrator, Ave Maria, is relatable in the extreme. She runs the small town pharmacy in the titular village and dwells on the agonizing breast cancer death of her beloved mother and the oppressive abuse of her stepfather before his death. It hit a little too close to home and the mother's death left me in shreds. I cried so hard I gave myself a sinus infection. I sobbed intermittently for three days just from remembering things in this book.

2.  Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll
The king of all WTF books, this one is like Baz Luhrmann on crack. You know, Baz Luhrmann, gifted director of opulent flicks like Strictly Ballroom and Moulin Rouge--so clever, sumptuous and over the top that eventually one wants to smack him because he went two steps too far in his surrealist buzz. Well, Carroll is just as talented but about a hundred times more wacko. To call it speculative fiction would be to sully the good name of the genre.
It's about Walker, a modern day guy infatuated with Mavis. The first couple of chapters are gorgeously written and made me think I'd love the edgy romance.
In a past life, Walker was an assassin. He reminisces about stabbing women just beneath the ear. Then there's a talking potbellied pig. And then (spoiler) Walker's dad is Rumplestiltskin. Yes, THAT Rumplestilskin--he keeps resurrecting Walker to see if he can "get it right" but he always chases after some girl and dad gets pissed and KILLS him and has to bring him back as a baby again to keep trying. So to stop Rumplestiltskin from killing Mavis (after he has caused a gory miscarriage already), Walker has to remember his dad's real name. It's Breath. There, I've ruined it for you. Save yourself the pain.

3.  The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
I was so excited to read this, which was reputed to be the next Jane Eyre, I bought it in hardback. The writing was bewitching. I was fascinated.
Then there was the incest. The sadism. The brother running around raping girls. The dad yanking hair out of his daughter's head and dying of septicemia from the hair wrapped around his finger.
I quit.
Ew.

4.  Straight Talking by Jane Green
She wrote Mr. Maybe--my favorite trashy chick lit book. I've read several of hers with varying degrees of enjoyment but I actually threw this one away. Frankly if they are having that much graphic sex in the first two pages, there isn't going to be a plot. I tried to find one. I think she's after her best guy friend. It was too frustrating trying to puzzle together a story with all that pointless nakedness.

So which books have made you vow Never Again?

5 comments:

  1. I had a WTF moment this weekend when I finally finished Penelope & Prince Charming by Jennifer Ashley. The cover and premise make it look like standard historical fare. Then weird magical stuff starts happening. I like magic in my fiction, but the logic/worldbuilding wasn't there. Then it turns out that the Prince is into bondage and anal. I don't have a problem with that, but I want to know that's what I'm getting when I pick up a book. Basically the whole thing was a big ol' WTF stew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew. I will not be reading that one.

    And I confess...my name is diva and I MISspelled WTF in the title :( bet you were wondering what wft stood for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lawsy. That was my screw up, not yours. The fact that I've mis-typed WTF as WFT every time I've tried to use it in the last few days maybe should have been a clue that I needed to double check the title. Geez. I'll correct it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Colleen McCullough and have enjoyed every book I've read by her, until I hit upon her book about Mary, the last Bennet sister: The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet. Oh my days. Let me just say that at one point she gets kidnapped and kept in an underground cave by a cult. Need I say more?

    Another author who let me down was Cathleen Schine. I loved her books up until She is Me--I just couldn't bring myself to care a whit about the main characters. I sped-read through the end. I'll still give Schine a chance, though.

    A weird one is Laura Kinsale's My Sweet Folly. Everyone agrees that the prologue is one of the most beautiful beginnings to a story ever, and then the rest is seriously downhill. (The sex scenes all revolved around him making her say: Please kiss my pink sweet pussy, or something. lol) Even Kinsale has commented on her site about the fact that the book doesn't live up to the prologue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @London Mabel: I own a once-read and reviled copy of the Independence of Miss Mary Bennett. It was dumb. I was offended by the cult and their extermination of girls. I was, however, deeply amused by how crap Lizzie and Darcy's marriage turned out.

    ReplyDelete