Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Late Monday Mini

I finally have internet again!  Hooray!  Hopefully things will get back to normal by the end of the week.  Please feel free to jump in with a mini review in the comments, or email it to me for next week's mini Monday.

As you may have guessed from the last post, I'm still working my way through the Vorkosigan series.  This morning I finished the omnibus Young Miles, which is a combination of The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game.  My favorite part of Apprentice is the screwball humor of it.  A 17 year old goes out on what amounts to a Grand Tour after flunking the physical exams for officer school.  One small lie spirals until... well, I won't tell you that part.  But believe me, that one lie grows to outrageous proportions.  And I cackled the whole time.  (Except for one really tragic part, but mostly it's crazy fun.)

My favorite part of The Vor Game was not actually Miles, although I love him as much as ever.  My favorite part was the close up look at Gregor.  As the Emperor, he is frequently a part of Miles's calculations as he scrambles from disaster to disaster-- What would serve the Emperor, what would serve Barrayar?  But this is probably the closest we come to seeing the inner life of Gregor, and what kind of sacrifice being Emperor has required of him.  There's still a lot of scrambling and scheming in Apprentice but it's got a more serious edge.

And so far I've read maybe a chapter of the next book in the series, Cetaganda.  Nine more books and three novellas until I get to the new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment