Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Love Rock 'n Roll!

I'm going through a phase right now.  A rockstar phase.  I can't get enough of reading about bad boys living the high life.  Fortunately, it seems to be a reasonably popular theme in m/m romance, although it doesn't seem to be as common in mainstream romance.

I haven't read the book to the left yet.  It's book three in a series (the first two aren't about rockstars, they're about other people who need bodyguards), so I'll need to read those first.  (Must read/watch all series in order!)  (OCD?  I have no idea what you're talking about.)  But I'm definitely looking forward to reading about the sexy rockstar and his big, strong bodyguard.  Rawr!

Another author I've been really enjoying is Jet Mykles, who writes about the oh so delicious boys of Heaven Sent.  I've read the first three books of this series (which I'll probably be discussing in more depth in another post), and there are three more books in the series, just waiting for me to eat them up, plus the first book in an off-shoot series.


I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the covers of these books are at least some of the attraction!  How can anyone look at that cover to the right and not want to read it?  The story itself was a little disappointing, but I could sit and look at the cover all day.

Lest you think this has been a strictly boys' club obsession, I have found one or two m/f rockstar romances.  Coming Undone by Susan Andersen was pretty entertaining.  PJ is a country star with problems.  (OK, so she's country, not rock, but I let it skate by because a lot of the trappings are the same.)  Her momma is trashing her in the tabloids, she's developed a crazed stalker, and the bodyguard her record label hires just happens to be an old flame.  They all go on tour, and hijinx ensue.  A good time is had by all, including the reader.

Then I've got one that I haven't read yet,  Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning.  This is another m/f rock romance that I picked up when they 
had it for free on Kindle for about 5 minutes.  They're marketing it as an erotic romance, so fingers crossed that it will be good!

I've got a bunch of other m/m rockstar romances in my future, too.  American Love Songs by Ashlyn Kane looks excellent, as does The Replacement Guitarist by Lori Toland.  With the Band by L.A. Witt is on my list.  And as I was poking around on Goodreads, double checking author names and such for this post, I came across A Change of Tune by JM Cartwright, which is now on the list, too.  (Goodreads is really a mixed blessing.  I've discovered some great stuff there, but I'm constantly discovering another book that I want.  I'll never read it all!)

So, do you like to read about rockstars?  Have you read any of the books I mentioned here?  Did you like them?  And most importantly, are there any other rockstar romances I absolutely must read?  I just can't get enough of bad boys with attitude and guitars!

4 comments:

  1. I know I read one in high school that was from the 80s about some chick who was still in love with her high school bf who had left her and become a big rock star...buying hilltop houses, driving fifteen cars...you have that song in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I read it, but that makes me think of Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway. Audrey is a high school girl who breaks up with her boyfriend. Boyfriend writes a song about the break up, and the song takes his band to the big time. Suddenly everyone in the world knows her as the girl who broke up with the rock star.

    It was a Dabwaha YA finalist a couple years ago. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one thing I don't like in music books is when the author makes up lyrics and describes the band singing a song. It always sounds dumb and then it breaks the mood for me.

    If you want to read a non-fic about bad boys living the life, read the Motley Crue bio. I hate their music, but it's a great read. Were they ever messed up! My favorite story is of Ozzy snorting a line of ants, and turning to Nikki and saying: "Top that Sixx!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like that either, Mabel. Referencing a song that's out there, that the reader might already know or can find and listen to later, is one thing. That can add a lot of color to a book. But creating original songs and then quoting at length in the book? Ugh. No thank you.

    ReplyDelete