Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just a little thing

So.  I'm reading a book, and the author just name checked one of their characters from an unrelated series.  I'm going to make up an example so that I don't have to call out the author, because who did it isn't really the point.

For example, if you were reading one of Susan Elizabeth Phillips' football books, and the hero makes a point of saying that he's watching one of the golf heroes on TV.  It doesn't add anything to the story.  Straight up name check.  Does that bother you, or is it a funny little inside joke for the fans?

My first reaction was to laugh.  But after that it was a little bit icky.  Not so icky/funny as the author who did a cover blurb for one of her own pen names a few years ago, but still just the tiniest bit icky.  I think I had the reaction because this author references real people sometimes, and I've been known to google looking for more information about them.  If other people do this (I can't be the only weirdo out there who does this kind of thing), then they're definitely going to come across other books by this author.  It kind of feels like marketing.  Can't they just trust that readers will enjoy the book and check out the list of other titles in the front and/or back of the book or on the author's website?

What do you think?  Am I being silly?  Do these little references amuse or annoy you?  Do you even notice?  Please, discuss amongst yourselves.

6 comments:

  1. Ew. That would piss me off. It's a little egotistical, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind it if the author is sort of creating his or her own little universe--almost like world building. Like, if you create this golfer as famous as Tiger Woods, then characters in other books would know his name too. But it's not done much outside of fantasy/sci fi, so it's weird to run across. The closest I can think is Jilly Cooper, whose books go a little further out that "series" I would say. And PG Wodehouse did it a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not too sure how I feel about this, will have to give it some more thought. I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one who googles references in books to get more information, I do it with everything, people, places, books, movies etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my reaction is closest to London Mabel's unless it's clearly gratuitous.

    For example, if, in your example, the main character actually met one of the golf heroes at some celebrity charity event, it would make sense for SEP to stick to her universe of professional athletes--her characters with the personalities and speech patterns she created.

    If, on the other hand, the main character could have easily been watching ice skating on TV, and the show (and, therefore, golf reference) was irrelevant to the scene then it could seem gratuitous.

    Am I making any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're definitely making sense, Carrie.

    In the actual situation, the character in book A had a novel on his nightstand written by the character who stars in book B.

    If the author intends to put the two characters together in a future book, then I don't think the reference is gratuitous. (Although it would have been better to work the characters together in the same book as the reference.) If there's no plan to have the characters appear together, then the reference inches toward icky for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just ONE of the reasons why my OCD requires me to read every damn thing in order! Who know who could just (gratuitously) pop up any where?! ACK!

    Yes, I google around for things/people too. Did it with art, and an artist, once. Found out that they were fiction, that irritated me for days. (No it was not Crusie.)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete